Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Farmington - New Mexico

Wow, we had the most perfect ride through New
Mexico today via the 64. We stopped along the way and checked out the scenery - talked with folks and took lots of pics. I'll have to get the pics up tomorrow. If you ever want to see some beautiful country side - check out highway 64 through New Mexico. Via a small spontaneous side trip - we went to the top of a local volcano and checked out the crater -impressive. The view of the prairie was fabulous!

We stoped for a leisurly lunch in Taos - a ski resort with LOTS of shopping. Kaye and Carol loved the stores, while I mostly sat in the square kicking back people watching. When it was time to go I realized that everyone has a turn - what do I mean? It was funny, I spent a lot of time supporting those who's bikes broke down during the first half of the trip and when I went to start my bike today in Taos - it wouldn't start! Battery. But how?

So this local tells me about a bike shop a block or so away. So down to the bike shop we go. The mechanic doesn't have any cables to lend out and cannot leave the shop. So I head back to the bike to check the connections - all were finger tight. I unpack my bike, put the stuff in the car and find a back exit from the town square. I push my bike down the road and pass two men sitting on the bench - as I pass them they are watching me so I make a loud, "vroom vroom" noise...they wondered if I was stealing the bike. I think to myself - now if I were stealing a bike wouldn't I be moving a bit faster instead of stopping every 10 feet to catch my breath? Really.

I get to the down hill part and coast to the end of the street while pushing with my feet - turn right and coast to the shop. Pull in back and it occurs to me that possibley the electronic key fob battery has gone dead. So I get the spare from Kaye's car and tell the mechanic. Hey it starts right up! Done. Thank Mat and I'm on my way again. Go to the parking lot, turn it off, pack up and go to start it...no dice - not working. Dang.

Push it back to the rear of the shop and fill out a work order. Within 5 minutes he has the bike running - ah - turns out the nuts on the cables were finger tight but not tight enough and were causing a loose connection...only $23 to learn that lesson - not bad.

I have some pics of the volcano, town, shopping, some view points and the mechanic - post them tomorrow. We finished our gourgeous ride through 64 - spotting an young elk frozen on the side of the road - I didn't even think it was real. I saw some thunder clouds to the North of us over Colorado and some to the South - but we were blessed with fair weather. Tonight we are staying in Farmington and tomorrow we are headed to Colorado! Right on, another state under our belt - just missing Kansas -but there will be other times to venture off to lands unknown (to me anyway) and I'll get it then.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jett,
I'm glad everything worked out just fine with your bike. Everything is great in SD. See you all soon!

Biby

Jett said...

Right on Biby - we'll be there soon!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're not alone. From your last post, I was afraid you were abandoned :( Glad your bike is holding up!!

Kathy